Saturday, June 30, 2007

Rum Turnips.....

Few drinks are more refreshing on a warm Summer night than a well prepared Rum Turnip. I pride myself on making one of the best Rum Turnips in Southern Nebraska. I probably shouldn't be doing this but here goes.

Spooner's Rum Turnip

Ingredients
1. Rum (I prefer a dark rum but any variety will do)
2. 1 large turnip, sqeezed
3. 5 large shrimp, boiled, with the shell
4. Tobasco sauce
5. Soda water
6. 1 large lemon chopped fine, seeds removed
7. Garlic powder
8. Salt
9. 1 large onion, chopped and sweated
10. Lard (the highest quality you can afford)

Equipment

1. Blender
2. Cheesecloth, extra fine weave
3. Muddler
4. 12oz glass tumbler

Instructions

Place the chopped and sweated onion, shrimp with shell, and chopped lemon in the blender. Add 6oz soda water and pulse for 10 seconds. Add 5 drops of tobasco sauce, pinch of salt, and garlic powder to taste. Pulse for additional 10 seconds. Grease the inside of the 12oz tumber with lard and strain the contents of blender through the cheesecloth into the glass. Use muddler to further break down any chunks. Add 1oz rum. Top off with turnip juice. Enjoy!

Let me know how it turns out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spooner,

I can't believe you gave away your recipe you old cantakerous bafoon! I'm going to use it as a dipping sauce for my new $2 Dollar Meatloaf Nuggets appetizer at Ronda's. I'll make a fortune and you won't see a dime.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mayor,

I tried your recipe for Rum Turnip and found it to be a refreshing and savory beverage. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

At first I was skeptical considering your addition of one particularly unappetizing ingredient. But I gave it a shot and to be honest I think that the salt makes it complete. Who would have imagined? Salt! In a drink! It's just crazy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mayor Jenkins,

My name is Relton Shorp and I represent a major high class dining institution here in southern Nebraska. I am very interesting in talking with you about the addition of your beverage to our late night menu. We could call it Spooner's Sippers. Do you have any other recipes that might fit in with this theme? Perhaps a turnip infused vodka drink with lard?

Unknown said...

My word, summer events in the UK might be very different affairs if people were to serve Rum Turnips rather than Pimms - or if the Spanish were persuaded to try this instead of their tedious Sangria.

I shall look out for the commercial preparation of this product, like cocktail mixes, as some of us may have difficulty in laying our hands on turnip juice and be disinclined to purchase a juicing machine for just this purchse.

Dr. Rob said...

In Georgia they do something similar, but use Coke and peaches. The shrimp really add to the bouquet.

Spooner Jenkins said...

Now I just don't understand why someone would up and ruin some perfectly good shrimp with peaches. It just ain't right. Now if you had said swamp cabbage you'd be speaking my language!