Few drinks are more refreshing on a warm Summer night than a well prepared Rum Turnip. I pride myself on making one of the best Rum Turnips in Southern Nebraska. I probably shouldn't be doing this but here goes.
Spooner's Rum Turnip
1. Rum (I prefer a dark rum but any variety will do)
2. 1 large turnip, sqeezed
3. 5 large shrimp, boiled, with the shell
4. Tobasco sauce
5. Soda water
6. 1 large lemon chopped fine, seeds removed
7. Garlic powder
9. 1 large onion, chopped and sweated
10. Lard (the highest quality you can afford)
2. Cheesecloth, extra fine weave
4. 12oz glass tumbler
Place the chopped and sweated onion, shrimp with shell, and chopped lemon in the blender. Add 6oz soda water and pulse for 10 seconds. Add 5 drops of tobasco sauce, pinch of salt, and garlic powder to taste. Pulse for additional 10 seconds. Grease the inside of the 12oz tumber with lard and strain the contents of blender through the cheesecloth into the glass. Use muddler to further break down any chunks. Add 1oz rum. Top off with turnip juice. Enjoy!
Let me know how it turns out.